Monday, July 6, 2009

Let the adventures begin....

Here I sit anxiously awaiting this weekends trip. I never thought I would ever go to South Dakota but this weekend I embarked in a crazy whirlwind of a weekend. On Thursday I had to run around like a crazy person just to get everything ready for our trip. That included driving up to Ogden to get the oil changed, making blueberry waffles so we had something to eat for breakfasts and finish packing. I knew all week that we were going on this trip but then I waited until the last minute to do everything. I guess that is how I've always been. Waiting until I absolutely had to get everything done and then I run around like a chicken with my head cut off hoping to make the much anticipated deadline. I knew this trip was going to be amazing after I made a quick pit stop at Target to purchase some last minute items. I pulled into the parking lot and you would have thought a bomb went off. It was mass hysteria. Children were bailing out of their parents cars before the cars had even stopped, adults were driving on the sidewalks to get as close to the doors as humanly possible, senior citizens were clutching to their umbrellas as if it was their lifelines to survival. Mothers covering there babies with their shirts (as if that is really going to protect them) and even mothers wrapping themselves under their babies blankets to try and stay dry. Haha really people it's only water. Even now I still laugh all mass hysteria in the Target parking lot. This little adventure was only the beginning of our amazing weekend.

As we made our way out of Utah I looked up to see a massive black storm cloud. At first I thought it was just the rain but the closer we got to it, I realized that in fact it was a giant flock of birds. Now I'm not sure what exactly those birds were thinking but all I could think about was Alfred Hitchcock's "Birds", imaging the birds coming down and pecking my eyes out. Why Hitchcock felt the need to make that movie but this flock of birds definitely had me freaked out as some felt the need to dive bomb us. I guess if I were a bird I would also enjoy the sensation of dive bombing. The sheer adrenaline rush of falling at a rapid acceleration. Maybe that is where the need comes from. They feel the need, the need for speed and tonight that need was met.

As we left Utah we thought the clouds and thunderstorms were behind us, but little did we know that these black clouds would follow us all weekend. I felt a little like Winnie the Pooh as he sang,
"I'm just a little black rain cloud
Hovering under the honey tree
I'm only a little black rain cloud
Pay no attention to little me
Everyone knows that a rain cloud
Never eats honey, no, not a nip
I'm just floating around over the ground, wondering where I will drip."Well Pooh that rain cloud not only dripped but it decided to pour on us in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and South Dakota. Really Pooh was all that rain necessary?? I think we learned our lesson. When traveling in July always keep an umbrella in the car because you never know when or what state you are going to need one in.

Now I am not a banana hater, I mean I really do love bananas but I draw the line at traveling with rotten bananas in the car for 2500 miles. We bought these bananas not knowing that they would ripen so quickly if we didn't take them with us they would have rotted on our counter at home. We packed them in a ziploc bag trying to contain the overpowering aroma of ripe bananas. We put them in the cooler and when I went to grab a plum I realized that we had made a terrible mistake bringing them with us. Even though they were sealed tightly in a ziploc they were permeating everything around them. I was not going to allow them to contaminate the bread that we had also packed so I decided then and there that they had to be disposed of. Penny said we would throw them out our next stop but that was too far away. They needed to be removed from our vehicle right then and there. Now bananas are biodegradable so I knew the only way for a quick extraction was to throw them out the window. So I stealthily rolled down my window and one by one started tossing them out. I got about four of them removed before Penny realized exactly what I was doing. She told me to stop littering and quickly rolled up my window. Well I was still stuck with five bananas and I was not going to have them smelling up the car. So what else could I do but open up the sun roof. I successfully threw two out before I was caught again. I knew I only had one more chance to get the remaining bananas out of the car. While Penny was preoccupied with closing the sun roof I managed to open my window again and successfully threw out the remainder of the bananas. Immedietly the air in the car was fresher and the banana extraction was an absolute success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment